13 Things You Need to Know
The Wellesley Cotillion is organized by a committee of parent volunteers with the goal of providing our sons and daughters and their guests with a formal winter dance. Attendance at Cotillion is a rare privilege and the expectation is that cooperation with and respect of the Cotillion rules and policies will ensure a wonderful evening for all who attend. Cotillion organizers recommend that parents/guardians of students attending this formal event read the following Cotillion policies and set expectations for appropriate behavior.
- ALL communication and updates about the event will happen on the Wellesley Cotillion 2018 Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/WellesleyCotillion2018
- Everyone attending Cotillion should be dropped off at Wellesley High School (WHS) at the front doors on Saturday January 6, 2018 between 6:30-6:50pm. Parents ARE NOT allowed inside WHS. Police will be on site to help move traffic efficiently. Buses will start leaving the high school at 6:50pm.
- There is a Zero Tolerance Policy for alcohol, drugs, smoking products or vaporizers. Anyone found under the influence of or in the possession of drugs, alcohol, smoking products or vaporizers will be detained and their parent/guardian will immediately be called to come and pick them up from whichever location they are at - Wellesley High School or the Metcalf Hall Ballroom, located on the 2nd floor of Boston University’s George Sherman Union building.
- Everyone attending Cotillion must have REGISTERED & PAID in advance through the Cotillion Website. Anyone arriving at Wellesley High School or at the Metcalf Hall Ballroom without having registered and paid IN ADVANCE will be TURNED AWAY. Registration is NOT available on the evening of the event. Attendees do not need to bring a “Ticket” to WHS. You will check-in at the registration table and receive an index card with your name pre-printed on it. This index card is proof of your registration and you will need it to board a bus. HANG ON to your pre-printed Index Card as you wind your way through the WHS Cafeteria and head for the waiting buses!
- Everyone attending Cotillion MUST ride TO and FROM Cotillion on one of the chartered motor coach buses provided by the Cotillion Committee. Buses will depart from Wellesley High School. After the event, one bus will transport guests that reside in Boston to the Boys & Girls Club on Warren Street in Roxbury. All other buses will return to Wellesley High School.
- Bags and Backpacks will NOT BE allowed at Cotillion, at the Metcalf Hall Ballroom, nor on buses. Bags should be dropped at post-Cotillion destinations ahead of time. The exception to this is that small, evening-style bags will be allowed to be carried by our female guests. Evening bags will be searched at check-in tables.
- Once inside WHS, Cotillion attendees will be subject to bag searches, pat-downs of jackets, and random breathalyzer tests. A reminder that there is a Zero-Tolerance-Policy for alcohol, drugs, and smoking products.
- Buses are NOT Pre-Assigned. Buses will be boarded based on attendees’ arrival at WHS. A queue will form around the perimeter of the cafeteria that will allow for guests to do some limited organizing of groups, to use the bathrooms before boarding buses, and to hear information regarding transportation expectations from their bus chaperones. Each bus will hold approximately 50 Cotillion attendees.
- Male guests will be provided with an additional pre-printed index card that should be slipped into their tuxedo pocket for ease of identification at the end of the evening. Female guests are encouraged to label their shoes, especially if they plan to take them off for dancing. Overcoats should not be necessary as the motor coaches will provide door-to-door service and guests should be dropped-off and picked-up at the WHS front curb.
- Black tie refers not only to dress code, but also to an appropriate code of conduct. Attendees should come prepared to model manners and behaviors befitting this formal evening, both on & off the dance floor.
- At Cotillion, drinks and snacks will be served. There will not be a full meal.
- Buses will begin to depart the Metcalf Hall Ballroom at 10:30 pm. Attendees should text parent/guardians once your bus has left Boston University and is returning to Wellesley to provide an estimated pick-up time – about 30 minutes later.
- Parent/guardians should park in parking spots in the WHS lot. Attendees will exit from the front door of WHS. Please do not park or wait along the curb as this area will be enforced as a “live” pick-up-only zone. Cars may approach the pick-up zone only when the returning Cotillion attendee is on the curb.